[Oer-community] OER mapping - Welcome and introduction to Week 1

Clare Middleton-Detzner jcmiddletondetzner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:27:52 MST 2012

Dear OER Colleagues,

I agree with the many ideas contributed about how a map could improve OER
accessibility and assist in efforts to educate beyond current OER
supporters. I’m also interested in how the tool can inform research,
benefit the development of new technologies and, as others have noted, lead
to improved use of metadata.

I see the map as a potential database of collective knowledge about
existing initiatives, and as a way to aggregate information (some of which
we are already collecting as a community) and enrich descriptive
information about resources/projects. A few questions of relevance include:

   - What are the audiences the OER movement is serving?
   - What models for policymaking around OER exist? Are they implemented at
   local, state, and/or national levels?
   - What best practices have emerged in OER projects? Where do gaps remain?
   - How do OER initiatives serve not only to generate, collect, and
   provide content, but also to support professional development and transform
   teaching and learning?
   - How has the OER movement evolved over time? In what ways have OER
   initiatives changed and been shaped by new technologies, processes,
   policies, and opportunities?

Here is one map ISKME developed, which isn’t about our OER work, but is an
example of how information can be shared about policy and connections
between people around projects  (it’s about state-level, college
productivity policy). *http://www.collegeproductivity.org/states*

Best,

Clare
--