[Oer-community] A reflection

Susan D'Antoni susandantoni at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 10:10:48 MST 2012

Dear Colleagues,

This has been a most energetic start to our discussion of mapping the
landscape of OER initiatives.  To see this OER community spring into action
again is such a pleasure after being in contact with many of you since 2005.

And like our colleague, Saul Fisher, I too was at the 2002 meeting at
UNESCO when the Term Open Educational Resources came into being and like
him “find the progress in OER over the decade "beyond my wildest hopes".

Maps are "powerful representations for creating, representing and
visualizing open knowledge” (Ale Okada) but no, there has been no decision
taken anywhere that we will create an OER world map (Sandra Schosn concern).

In the discussion so far, there have been a number of points made about the
potential benefits of a visual map of the OER landscape – such as –

*   serve as a gateway

*   make more initiatives visible beyond the well-known ones

*   identify initiatives operating in different languages

*   help find OER

*   identify the OER community

*   foster new collaboration and cooperative efforts

But there have been some concerns expressed – such as –

*   it is a big task so it needs to be a simple map

*   it needs to be self sustaining

*   It is tempting to collect too much data

*   it needs to be carefully structured and organized

*   we need to define or classify initiatives

The point about sustainability and the need to keep it simple are good
points to bear in mind.  I had the privilege (because I was not trained as
a statistician) of working at Statistics Canada, a fine statistical agency.
I learned a lot, but one thing that stuck with me was the extremely high
cost of collecting information and the importance of “essential” data, not
"nice to have".  It truly is a temptation to want more and morre
information.  But if we aimed to describe the global OER landscape, then
the amount of information to begin building an OER world map might best be
what we consider absolutely essential.  Discipline!

Let’s keep the two lists of pros and concerns in mind as we continue this
train of discussion.  Then let's move on to considering what essential
information might be for an initial mapping exercise.

Lovely conversation,

Susan