[Oer-community] OER mapping

Ale.Okada Ale.Okada at open.ac.uk
Tue Nov 13 15:15:41 MST 2012

Dear Susan & all

I think that OER maps are powerful representations for creating representing and visualising open knowledge
Various OER world maps could be very useful, (not only geographical maps)
Of course, easy-to-use tools for mapping OER would be also important.

During the first years of the OpenLearn Project (2006 -2008) we started to map
publication, topics, events, authors & technologies.
We mapped papers, chapters, presentations.
Our future work would be map webinars, videos, multimedia resources, courses, geomaps & other hypermedia maps...
http://labspace.open.ac.uk/file.php/4/kmap/1221755314/book.html

We also mapped an Open Educational Resources Seminar
http://labspace.open.ac.uk/file.php/4/kmap/1212511993/2008_moril.html
about OER Force fields in six countries
http://ijt.cgpublisher.com/product/pub.42/prod.725

Unfortunately, we did not have time to update it and integrate important features:
1. templates and guidelines to edit, adapt & updated maps (individually and collectively)
2. improving discoverabilty + interoperability
3. search engines for selecting information in the maps
4. A repository of maps created by users with clear descriptions.
5. other functionalities ( import / export / & information about different tools for mapping
   In the OpenLearn I worked with Compendium and Cohere

Some examples can be found in the book Knowledge Cartography.
We are organizing the second edition.
http://books.kmi.open.ac.uk/knowledge-cartography/
A chapter about mapping OER for this book is very welcome!