[Oer-community] OER mapping - Let's eat our own dogfood

Tel Amiel tel.amiel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 05:07:05 MST 2012

hi all -

mapping will be useful (no matter how roughly) because it opens up the OER scenario beyond the well known players and well established projects. it has been incredibly useful for us in brazil to map small and local initiatives and connecting these to larger projects. many times these projects do not gain visibility to others who most need to know of them.

i agree with martin that the meso/micro layer is more interesting. i also think that identifying projects in multiple locations (multinational/lingual project) can be fairly easy to do and will clearly demonstrate how much collaboration influences OER work.

we do need to define clearly what "fits" in the map (people? projects? repositories? initiatives?) and concurring with wayne, keep the system open to input (and mediated).

we have begun listing many projects and repositories in portuguese (http://educacaoaberta.org/wiki) both in brazil and beyond, and would be interested in contributing this material to the mapping initiative.

cheers - tel