[Oer-community] OER Geography in an Internet Age - Which "geographies" will provide the most utility to users?

Virginia Cram-Martos Virginia.Cram-Martos at unece.org
Tue Nov 13 01:29:55 MST 2012

Dear OER Colleagues,

I would like to suggest that while mapping OER initiatives according to
their geographic centre of development is useful, it is not necessarily
the system of "classification" of most use to potential users in an
Internet age.

As an example, if I was looking for work done on maths for early secondary
school students speaking Spanish - a geographic map is helpful only to the
extent that there is a correspondence between work done in Spanish and
countries where Spanish is an official language - but if someone were
doing work in this area in Chicago, I might miss it - and looking through
every organization doing work in Spanish to find "secondary math" would
probably be time-consuming as well.

This is a problem that can be overcome without large investments because
we have at our disposal databases and tools that allow data to be viewed
from "more than one angle". Therefore, in order to provide the greatest
possible utility to users, the OER community may want to consider making
the information gathered on OER available to users according to multiple
"geographies" so that each user can select the "geography" that best
corresponds to their needs.

The range of geographies would need to be well-defined (say with drop down
menus for selection so that, for example, "Spanish" and "Espagnol" go into
the same location) and simple enough so as not to impose an excessive
burden on those submitting information. My initial proposals for
"geographies" would be the following:

        - Language
        - Academic Subject Area (Geography, Economics, Physics, Sociology,
Maths, etc.)
        - Age Grouping (Pre-School, Primary, Middle School, Secondary,
University, Post-Grad, etc.)
        - Geographic Location of the Developer(s)

I do not work in "education" per se, but in my organization/division, we
recently developed an interesting Guide to Trade Facilitation that uses
multiple "geographies" for looking at the same data.  The Internet address
for this Guide is: http://tfig.unece.org/     FYI - we also have
additional, associated training material.

This Guide was developed with technical support from the United Nations
training centre in Turin, Italy - and if participants in this discussion
found the format to be of interest, perhaps UNESCO could contact the
centre in Turin about working with the OER Community (caveat emptor - they
do not work for free, even if you come from within the UN system).

Best regards,

Virginia Cram-Martos
Director
Trade and Sustainable Land Management Division
United Nations Economic Commission for Europe