[Oer-community] OER mapping discussion - a pre start-up message

Susan D'Antoni susandantoni at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 08:03:35 MST 2012

Dear Colleagues,

On Monday we will begin our discussion in this international community of
almost 900 members.  You are a diverse group from many different
institutions and organizations and many parts of the globe.  Your input
from your specific experience and perspective will make this conversation a
rich one.

We have a task to work on together in this discussion.  Our task is to
think about the growing OER movement and consider whether a global map of
OER institutional initiatives would be useful.

1   Organization of the discussion

The discussion will take place over the next three weeks and be focused on
one topic – whether the global OER community could engage and work
collaboratively to create a visual OER world map.

The suggested organization for the sessions is as follows:

Week 1: What could an OER world map of initiatives look like?

12- 16 November

* Why map the OER landscape

* Essential information and visual presentation

_____________* *

Week 2: Could a world map be built collaboratively?

19-23 November

* Organizational approach for collaboration

* Ensuring the quality of the information

______________

Week 3: Reflection and next steps

26-30 November

* Design of an initial version of an “OER World Map”

* Organization

* Support available/needed

* Follow up local discussions

2   Reports

A brief overview document will be sent to you with an overview of the main
points of the previous week’s discussion.

At the conclusion of the discussion, a summary report will be prepared and
sent to you as draft for your input, comments or suggestions.  Depending
upon the outcome of the discussion and if the community wishes to develop a
map, this report could be the beginning of a proposal to proceed to develop
such an OER world map.

These documents will also serve for those of you who plan to have
subsequent discussions in your own communities in your own language on
mapping OER initiatives.  You are free to translate the reports of course.

2   Messages and license

First, to ensure that no administrative-type messages go to the list, all
messages will be approved and then sent on to the list.  This means that no
one is burdened with messages that relate to the management of the list
membership, as happened in a previous discussion.  But, this also means the
list will be quiet while I sleep!

Second, our discussion is licensed as CC BY under a Creative Commons
Attribution 3.0 Unported License<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/>
.  By participating in this discussion you are indicating your agreement to
this license.

3   Opening the discussion

We will start our conversation on Monday the 12th and consider first why an
OER world map might be a good resource to have.  Several colleagues will
comment from their own perspective, and then we can discuss the potential
utility of a visual map of the OER landscape of institutional initiatives.

Until Monday when the list opens,

Susan

--
Susan D'Antoni