[Oer-community] Closing

Sabu K C sabukc2001 at yahoo.co.in
Sat Dec 1 02:42:06 MST 2012

Thanks Susan
Best regards

Sabu K C Ph.D.
Area Manager
Gulf Times
Doha, Qatar

--- On Sat, 1/12/12, Susan D'Antoni <susandantoni at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Susan D'Antoni <susandantoni at gmail.com>
Subject: [Oer-community] Closing
To: "oer-community" <oer-community at athabascau.ca>
Date: Saturday, 1 December, 2012, 6:58 AM

Dear
colleagues,

We have come to the end of Week 3 and the conclusion of this discussion in the OER
community.  We had a
task when we set out on this discussion – to consider the advantages of a global
mapping to list and visualize OER initiatives, what we need to know about them, and how
collaboration could be organized.

Thank you

Thanks to
all of you – you are almost 900 in number who have contributed and followed
this conversation.  You have exchanged more
than 400 messages – discussion has certainly been lively and informative, and
occasionally contentious, as a fine debate should be.

Thanks to
Mary Lou Forward and the Open CourseWare Foundation for making the data available for our sample
maps and to Teresa Connolly for creating them.

I would also
like to thank the Hewlett Foundation for the years of support of OER community interaction, first at the International Institute for Educational
Planning (IIEP), then in the Education Sector of UNESCO and now through the network
of the UNESCO Chairs in OER.  The initial vision and leadership of Mike Smith and Cathy Casserly, and now that of Barbara
Chow, Vic Vuchic and Kathy Nicholson, have helped many of us with our OER
initiatives, building a global “OER family” over the past decade.  Much has been accomplished in ten years.

Next steps
…

1   We will be sending you all a brief summary
of the discussion of the past week as we have done for Weeks 1 and 2.

2   Then we will draw these summaries together
into a draft report and forward that to you in mid December for your review and
feedback by mid January.

3   We will be making the documentation
available on the UNESCO/COL Chair web site (https://unescochair.athabascau.ca/oer-mapping-exercise) and on the OER Knowledge Cloud (https://oerknowledgecloud.org/).  We will also make the archives of the
discussion available.

(Please
note that all problems associated with the configuration of the Mailman list
are mine, because of my worries about administrative messages annoying the
group.  As a result I moderated the
discussion to avoid this.  But within a
few days the moderation finction was removed.
 My worries were unnecessary.  Everyone was very respectful in sending admin
messages directly to me.  The list itself
was always open to anyone to subscribe to without approval.)

4   Several colleagues in different regions have considered holding
follow up discussions ot the topic in their own languages and networks.  This will be very important follow up to our international discussion.  We hope to hear from them about their
deliberations and their needs.  This
feedback will be incorporated into the final report.

5   From
the ardent discussion of metadata and licenses, it is clear that these exchanges that took place in our forum will be continued in others.  This list will remain open for a little
longer to allow you to make any connections you wish to follow up on.

Let me
close with my own personal thanks again and commitment to move forward with the
deliberations of the group about building an OER World Map.

We need
only connect ...

My best wishes as always,

Susan