[Oer-community] Maximum Impact

Mary Lou Forward mlforward at ocwconsortium.org
Mon Oct 18 19:43:02 MDT 2010

Thanks, Rory.

That's one of the major issues to be decided, and why we're trying to ensure
that this is an international group effort so we can have wide input.  We
may start with UNESCO's International Standard Classification for Education;
at this point we're gathering information from a lot of different
classification systems and pulling together advisory and working groups.
Ultimately, we need some kind of classification framework that can be easily
adopted to improve discoverability and use of OER.  Without metadata
standards, we're unlikely to get to the level of searchability that we need
to realize the desired impact of OER on teaching and learning.  The movement
is still young enough to try for a common system - perhaps wishful thinking,
but worthwhile to try!

Mary Lou