[Oer-community] Is MIT thinking of putting its OCW material behind a pay wall?

Stephen Downes stephen at downes.ca
Mon Oct 11 18:07:54 MDT 2010

  I think the point being made is that education is not something that
is simply bought and sold, as a commodity, but rather something a
society does to advance its own objectives. That it is, therefore,
something too important to be left to the whims of the marketplace. And
that the content of an education cannot be determined merely by economic
pressures, but by the wider set of values of a society as a whole.

A private company traded on the stock exchange is required by law to
maximize profits for shareholders. This often works to the detriment of
society as a whole - McDonald's, for example, maximizes profits by
selling people fat and salt, while Coca Cola maximizes profits by
selling people flavoured sugar water. We allow this not because it's
more efficient, but because as a society we respect the choices people
make. But my the same token, we do not allow people to bottle and sell
poison as food. If allowed, free enterprise would undoubtedly offer such
a product (generally to be given as gifts, I would imagine). But the
social harm that would be caused outweighs the profits to be made.

Most societies have decided that the management of education is too
important to be left to private enterprise, that there would be too many
poison pills to swallow, and that society would be irreparably damaged
as a result. That even if private enterprise were to be able to manage
education more efficiently, the product offered would be harmful to
society. The United States is almost unique in its belief that these
services can be managed by private enterprise. The current crisis in the
U.S. education system is good evidence of that, as private educators
attempt to finish off the public education system it has been attacking
for some decades now.

I get frustrated when I see the same sort of argument posted here or in
similar forums (there was a recent troll in WikiEducator to the same
effect recently). Education isn't about making money; the provision of
an education isn't about charity or philanthropy. The large cash
donations provided (with strings) by people like Gates or Zuckerberg do
more harm than good. The fostering of an educational resources regime
where publishers and academics produce, and everyone else consumes, at
once promotes their business objectives and undermines our social
objectives and disempowers learners as a whole.

We need and must recognize that open educational resources are at once
both the product and the property of those people who are intended to
learn from them. That our role, as a wider society, ought not to be to
shower free resources upon people, in the hope of somehow lifting them
up and maybe enlightening them, and certainty of creating lifelong
customers, but rather in the fostering of a social, legal and cultural
climate where people are empowered and encouraged to create and share
artifacts of their own learning. To do any less is to cheat them not
only out of their own education but also of their own social values and
cultural heritage. The goods Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg would deliver
will not do as a substitute for a free and freely-formed curriculum, no
matter what the price.

-- Stephen

--
Signature 	Stephen Downes
Research Officer, National Research Council Canada
Website: http://www.downes.ca ~ Email: stephen at downes.ca
<mailto:stephen at downes.ca>