[Oer-community] Is MIT thinking of putting its OCW material behind a pay wall?

Tim Cook timothywayne.cook at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 12:05:00 MDT 2010

Hi Steve,

So I take away from your comments below that you are okay with having a
society that encourages educational access based on economic status?

Regards,
Tim

On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 11:36 -0400, Steve Foerster wrote:
> Talat wrote:
>
> << Education should be part of the public expenditure and if it is not
> possible for the public sector, private sector education should not be
> seen as any other corporate sector like software, transport, telecom ect. >>
>
> We disagree.  Education is an important service, but it's not something
> that's magically immune to the laws of economics.  It's not like
> physical infrastructure where the argument can be made that it's a
> natural monopoly.  Since it's capable of supporting many different
> providers in the same space, education is actually better provided by a
> competitive marketplace than by a centralized bureaucracy.
>

> << Many corporate sectors thrive for profit only to be giant, and
> indirectly want to rule or influence ruling, ignoring socio-economic
> aspects, which ultimately creates social inequity and disharmony. They
> then came to a new term CSR and they try to compensate through CSR. But
> private sector education should be the opposite. They should work for
> social equity and thus thrive for social harmony and profit for survival
> only if public sector fails to support education. >>
>
> There's nothing at all wrong with a profit motive in education, or the
> profit motive in general.  Indeed, the problem I see with those sorts of
> corporations is that they are too closely intertwined with the state and
> thus have the ability to exploit political power instead of actually
> being competitive.
>
> -=Steve=-

Timothy Cook, MSc
Project Lead - Multi-Level Healthcare Information Modeling
http://www.mlhim.org

Skype ID == timothy.cook
Academic.Edu Profile: http://uff.academia.edu/TimothyCook

You may get my Public GPG key from  popular keyservers or
from this link http://timothywayne.cook.googlepages.com/home