[Oer-community] educational policy and OER

Theo Lynn theo.lynn at dcu.ie
Sat Oct 9 02:10:31 MDT 2010

Hi Sabya

The various freemium and subsidy-based business models do offer
publishers alternatives however if one takes OER to a logical
conclusion for education policymakers, encouraging open textbooks (and
indeed workbooks) would probably have the greatest impact. In K12,
publishers source authors from the teaching profession, the curriculum
is proscribed and doesn't change much (unlike academic publishing). If
a Ministry wants to make a significant impact and push cost out of its
system, open text books make a lot of sense - they need subsidise the
initial book development and then the OERs should incrementally evolve
with the right community activation strategy (which in itself is
worthy of debate and research). International communities can take
these OERs and adapt for their language, culture or pedagogic
considerations.

However as praiseworthy a strategy that is from an education
perspective, from a publishing and print industry it would be a
significant transformation to deal with. If the inputs in to the
product are the same i.e. curriculum and teachers and the print
element is disposed of (due to digital distribution or on-demand
printing etc), then the value the publisher adds is bundled up in to
the editorial management and marketing (see community activation and
adoption) processes. An OER Textbook project driven by a Dept of
Education can mandate adoption thus leaving publishers with editorial
management....

Physical books are a good technology in that we understand how they
work, how the navigation works etc. Unfortunately they are heavy,
resource intensive, not very green and don't allow for regular
updating. Their place in higher education is increasingly in decline
as journal databases, amongst other technologies take over, and they
have even less justification in K12.

Of course, this depends on the timeframe we are seeking change within.

Rgds

Theo

________________
Dr. Theo Lynn
Director, Industry Engagement, DCU Business School
Director, DCU Leadership, Innovation and Knowledge Research Centre

Address: DCU Business School, Dublin City University, Glasnevin,
Dublin 9,
Ireland
Telephone: +353-1-7006873
Mobile: +353-87-2261723