[Oer-community] Building OCW

Paul Silva professorpaulsilva at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 04:00:53 MDT 2010

Dear Terri,

I appreciate your response and the links you provide in “Building OCW”. After my initial browse of the web links, I realise I’m interested in the Pedagogy group and the Services for the lifelong learners to which I’ll subscribe shortly.

The broader point in view of our current OER discussion in my thinking pertains to increasing and training our global membership, and you’re spot on in asking that as a first step, we need to identify our interests.

In line with identifying members’ interests could be added members’ skills, knowledge and expertise levels and a meta data may be created to facilitate the matching of members to their interest groups and their required training to update, develop and master the necessary learning tools that will make them literate members of the OCW/OER communities thereby grow the skills levels in our communities.

The breadth and diverse nature of the OCW/OER Movement requests that there must be a system within our various communities by which members are in cognisant of the work other groups are doing and are also able to share in any new positive development; I’m certain, there are many systems experts and developers in this group who would be able to advise on how this flexibility and inter-working can be maintained and enhanced.

Because of the various OER discussions in the last five years, the International University-Universidad Internacional Euroamericana www.uie.edu.es using the Moodle platform launched a free virtual university where students especially from economically challenged backgrounds can study for free. The problem for me with this initiative is that I am yet to fully marshal the available quality OER repositories to the courses I currently offer in the areas of World Literature and Culture (Literary and Cultural Studies); I’ll appreciate any further pointer in these directions.

Paul