[Oer-community] Discussion of list software and management

Susan D'Antoni susandantoni at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 15:34:41 MDT 2010

Dear Colleagues,

Our objectives and software support ...

Thank you all for the suggestions of how we might manage the list
better and of some of the options we have at our disposal.  This is an
issue that was also raised when we were on the Sympa software at
UNESCO.

In both the cases - at UNESCO and at Athabasca - we have been hosted
on the software supported by the institution. A mailing list has been
used as the simplest means for those with difficult connectivity.  Our
aim has always been to be as inclusive as possible.  As one of our
members said early on, "we have the whole world around the table".
Not quite - but we would like to exclude as few as we can.

Because our Community discussions are short focussed sessions, it does
tend to result in a relatively high level of interaction, but for a
limited period of time.  Our sessions have always had a specific focus
with a background resource and a report for record and for broader
sharing.  However, the Community has grown and the OER movement is
maturing.  It is time clearly for another reflection on how we
interact.

So, for now, can I ask that we continue this short current discussion
on Mailman, and let us make several improvements to facilitate access
to the management page.  Then we will review the comments you have
made about your preferences, and explore options with several who have
made alternative suggestions.

Reducing the number of messages with a Daily Digest format ...

In the meantime, setting your personal preferences to a daily digest
would at least reduce the burden of so many messages in your mailbox:

Go to the management page at
https://deimos.cs.athabascau.ca/mailman/listinfo/oer-community .

At the very bottom of the page you will see two boxes.  The first one
is empty - type your email address in it and then click on the box
beside it that says "Unsubscribe or edit options".

That will take you to a page entitiled "Oer-community mailing list
membership configuration for YOUR NAME".

Scroll down to "Your Oer-community Subscription Options"  The second
option is "Set Digest Mode"  If you turn this on, you will get one
message with all the interaction of the day.  That might be preferable
to the stuffed mailbox....

Back to the discussion ....

Now let us turn back to Mary Lou and her colleagues for the rest of
our discussion of the OCWC meeting and the issues raised.

My best,

Susan