[Oer-community] Introduction to the discussion

Paul Stacey paul.stacey at bccampus.ca
Tue Oct 5 16:25:03 MDT 2010

It's great to see this discussion starting up again. I read the background paper and initial introductory posts with some interest. The background paper asserts that OER are poised to make the transition to standard practice in education. However, its clear from everyone's introductory remarks there are still a lot of questions related to sustainability, financial investment, and academic use cases.

As my introductory remark I thought I'd make one simple recommendation which I believe will result in OER sustainability, financial return, and tremendous academic benefits. For OER to make the transition to mainstream we must see institutions like MIT, UKOU, Athabasca, and ideally all others who develop academic curricula use OER that have been developed outside their institution as part of the for-credit credential opportunities they are offering. If this one thing was to occur OER would make the transition to becoming an integral part of education practice.

Paul Stacey
BCcampus
http://www.bccampus.ca
blog: http://edtechfrontier.com