[Oer-community] Introduction to the discussion

Douglas Tedford douglastedford at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 12:20:36 MDT 2010

That is a great point Jacques!  Once the social justice work of bringing
free online learning involves compensation or requires special funding, it
is subject to implosion.  I learned from your post- Thank you.  I run, as
a volunteer, an online English course for teachers in rural Guatemala, and
my collaborators are also volunteer course writers and teachers.  The only
requirement to maintain this project is personal commitment and to grow it,
the same.

Best- Doug

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:17 AM, Jacques du Plessis <jacques at uwm.edu> wrote:

>  Hi Paul, I liked your email to Susan regarding the zero-sum issue for
> sustainability of OER projects. This concept of sustainability is something
> many are intrigued by, yet it is not achieved with ease.
>
> My example is the openlanguages.net initiative. It has been growing since
> 2004 to offer less commonly taught languages online. The financial grounding
> of this site is not a big problem since housing a web site is cheap these
> days. The financial sustainability is in the development of derivative
> products and in nominal fees to supplemental tools and resources when the
> course is formally implemented. The core of the course is open to the
> public, but certain recordkeeping tools, personal progression tracking
> tools, etc are offered to a specific program using the site. So, these
> services on the side offer adequate support to keep the venture going. It is
> a modest approach, but I find it more grounded  than the grant-seeing
> approach, aimed at growing it big, which is like adding a raising agent (the
> big plan) to the dough and the grant being the heat. The moment the grant is
> over, the poofed dough implodes. I want to avoid financial support that
> brings 'magic' to a project, and then the money goes away, and there is not
> the means to maintain the 'magic' or bigness of the venture. That is the
> dance I do not want to dance :-)
>
> It is vital to think bold and beautiful and even quick, but to do nothing
> if there is not the long-term logic factored in.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jacques
> ======================
> Dr. Jacques du Plessis, School of Information Studies
> University of Wisconsin (UWM)
> Bolton 510, 3210N Maryland Ave
> Milwaukee, WI, 53211
>
> Tel 414.229.2856
> www.afrikaans.us and www.openlanguages.net
> www.sois.uwm.edu/jacques
>
> "Fluidity is the way to life. Fixation is the way to death. This is
> something that should be well understood."
> -Miyamoto Musashi, the Book of Five Rings

Dr. Douglas Tedford
ELT Author - Editor - Teacher Trainer
Researcher - Online English for Rural Guatemala
Mexico City, Mexico
celular: (011 52 1) 55 1724 3738